4 years, 11 months ago
This moving checklist has been designed to help you stay on track during your upcoming journey to a new home. Whether moving internationally to another country or locally across the street, this checklist is going to help you get everything done on time. International moves are complicated. Local moves are just as frustrating. Creating a solid checklist for moving will help you stay organized, on track and relaxed.
Checklist for Moving
To do 90 Days Before You Leave
- Passports! Update the ones you have, and get a passport for anyone who doesn’t currently have one.
- Book airline tickets and lodging.
- Get school transfer certificates and records.
- Look into pet regulations for your destination country, and arrange for kenneling/quarantine as required.
- Gather important documents and keep them in a safe, yet easily accessible place. Make sure any electronic files are backed up.
- Find out about your new country’s documentation and certification requirements.
- Make a file for tax and finance information related to the move—this is important for any tax claims you’ll need to file. Keep all moving-related receipts here, too, if you’re getting reimbursed.
- Make sure everyone is up to date with your new country’s vaccination requirements. Create an international vaccination record booklet.
- Get your national driver’s license renewed if necessary, then look into obtaining an international driver’s license (you might be able to take the test before you leave).
- Make sure everyone—friends, family, magazine subscriptions, credit card companies, etc.—is informed of your change of address. Print out change of address cards to hand out.
- Put your house on the market, or contact local rental agencies if you plan on renting it out.
- Talk to professional international movers and get free quotes.
- Get rid of any items that don’t have to come with you. Less stuff means an easier move.
- Pack up any items that you won’t need until you arrive in your new home. Make sure all boxes are labeled!
To Do 60 Days Before You Leave
- Organize visas and insurance policies.
- Get medical, dental and vet records, and one last check-up for everyone (pets, too). Find out if any subscription medications you take are available in the new country, and what the name for them is.
- If appliances, vehicles or other items are going to be sold, now’s the time to put them on the market.
- Create a power of attorney for someone to handle your affairs while you are away. Make sure this person has certified copies of all important documents they’ll need.
- Tend to banking issues. Explain to your bank that you’re moving abroad, and give them your new address. Set up a global account with them—and if they don’t do that, you’ll need to find a bank that will. If you plan to make payments while away (mortgage, loans, pensions, etc.) make sure you set up a direct debit. If you don’t already have Internet banking, set this up.
- Get your house rental-ready.
- Organize the cancellation of magazine and newspaper subscriptions.
- Organize going away parties.
To Do 30 Days Before You Leave
- Change address on anything that needs it.
- Arrange to have all utilities discontinued, or change the name on the bills to the renters/rental agency.
- Talk to your shipping company about what paperwork you need, and obtain it.
- Pack up as much as you can, and make a thorough inventory list.
- Review your checklist for moving—are you up to date?
The Big Day
- Get a date for the delivery of your belongings. Verify all delivery details with your mover, and review the inventory list.
- Pack up the essentials that you’ll need until your shipment arrives.
- Review your checklist for moving.
- Say your goodbyes and take that first step!
Checklist for Moving | Add Acclaimed to Your List
With over 10 years of international moving experience, Acclaimed Movers and Storage knows all the ins and outs of a relocation abroad. When you work with them, they’ll assign you a personal moving consultant, who will walk you through every step and help you with that all-important checklist for moving overseas. From documentation to shipping regulations and customs to packing and delivery, Acclaimed has the know-how to make your international move hassle-free. You can trust them to move you—and your belongings—anywhere in the world with success.
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Join us on Linked In
Watch us on YouTube
Share on Facebook