6 years, 11 months ago
The process of moving can often feel as though you’re standing at the bottom of an insurmountably high mountain, and the only way to get to the other side is to climb it. In recent years, several people and families have turned to a do-it-yourself approach instead of hiring professional moving companies. This is a viable, affordable option, but not necessarily the most cost-effective. There are some great reasons to hire professional movers to handle your relocation; whether it’s because a cross-country move is just too daunting of a task to take on alone, or the special needs of your business necessitate expert assistance, employing a moving company can save you time and hassle. But for many people, the big question before making the decision to do business with a professional moving company is “how much do movers cost?” Here are some factors to consider.
How Much Do Movers Cost? | Consider These Factors
Weight—Many professional moving companies charge based on how much your items weigh in total. Often this is determined from the size of your property. A few rough estimates are listed below (Note: numbers provided are all approximate):
- Studio apartments: 1,800 pounds
- 1 Bedroom apartments: 2,200-3,200 pounds
- 2 Bedroom apartments: 5,000-6,000 pounds
- 3 Bedroom apartments and houses: as much as 9,000 pounds
- 4+ Bedroom homes: start at 11,000 pounds
Distance- How far you go determines what you pay.
- Local moves-How much do movers cost for a local relocation? Generally, movers will charge an hourly rate for your move. The time it takes to pack, load, unload, travel and disassemble/reassemble furniture will all be taken into consideration. Moving quotes will vary depending on the type of move you are making, however for local moving services, rates will be based on an hourly minimum. You should expect to pay anywhere from about $70/hour to as much as $185/hour. The number of movers hired to do the job will affect costs as well; fewer movers means a lower rate. In California, local moves are subject to a state-mandated double drive time fee that provides a verifiable driving charge. If you feel that a moving quote you have received does not adhere to legal state standards, be sure to check with the Public Utilities Commission, which regulates the industry.
- Long distance moves- Whether it’s intra- or interstate, any move over 100 miles is considered long distance—and pricing is vastly different from local relocations. For long distance moves, the rates are generally determined based on the total cubic feet or total weight of the materials being moved. Some moving companies use weight (as described above). Others look to the volume of your belongings: how much space items take up in cubic feet determines what size truck is required. A very rough estimate for a long distance move without packing is about $0.50/pound for a 500 mile move.
- Commercial vs. Residential- Most people have moved to a new house or apartment at least once in their lives, so the scenario is an easy one to picture. Moving a business, however, is a completely different undertaking. Files, printers, computers, tables and other office equipment have to be packed safely. Cubicles need to be taken apart and put back together in the new space. Getting commercial belongings set up in a building with other businesses in the building can be a logistical challenge. It pays to hire a business moving consultant (or hire a moving company that can provide you with expert insight) who can help you handle all the details, and trust your moving company to do the breakdown, packing and reassembly.
Rough estimates on the actual cost to hire a company for relocation services are hard to determine, because they vary so widely. Really, the only way to determine commercial moving costs is to simply call professional movers and compare estimates.
How Much Do Movers Cost?
When you ask yourself “How much do movers cost?” you can get solid answers you can trust from Acclaimed Movers and Storage. Acclaimed Movers offers the free quote section right on their home page. Acclaimed Movers has 10+ years providing a full suite of professional services to residential, commercial, local, long distance and even international moving customers. They are staffed by expert moving professionals, thoroughly trained in the art of safe and secure packing, and use well-maintained moving trucks that come equipped with GPS units and engines that run on bio-diesel fuel. Storage, piano and art moving, and even auto transportation are also available at your request. No matter what your home or business move entails, Acclaimed has the skill and experience to handle it successfully. And with the help of their knowledgeable moving consultants, getting an estimate that fits your situation and your budget is just a phone call or mouse click away!
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Join us on Linked In
Watch us on YouTube
Share on Facebook